Thursday, January 30, 2014

Review- Adrenaline Rush (The Capes) by Rebecca Royce

NackVision.com_devider065

skyline
                           
         This title has been previously published and has been re-edited for your enjoyment.
                                           Republished  Jan 29th, 2014




image (14)


Ace Hudson has worked for his brother, Draco, at Powers, Inc. since it opened. Spending his days trying to balance his job with taking care of his teenage brother, Lael, he uses his nights to overcome the overabundance of adrenaline in his body that makes him lose control. He also happens to have a secret crush on a celebrity chef who makes home-cooked meals look sexier than they have a right to be.

Alice Styles runs an empire based on her ability to make people want to eat what she cooks. When she’s nearly killed on live television in a situation straight out of one of her childhood nightmares, she reluctantly asks Ace Hudson to help keep her safe.

Starting out with instant dislike and finding their way to mutual pleasure, Ace and Alice do not have an easy path to love. But their egos and personal barriers are nothing compared to the looming threat just waiting for a moment to possess Alice.


NackVision.com_devider065



image (13)

I didn't read the first book of The Capes series before reading Adrenaline Rush. That absolutely did not affect my enjoyment of this book. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't what I got. (The cover was a BIG hint, dummy) From page one, I was just absolutely struck dumb. I could NOT believe that what was basically a comic book character was made into a romantic hero, and that I, a sophisticated literary connoisseur of the highest standards was eating it up with a spoon. Pure genius! Plus the heroine is a cross between Rachael Ray and Martha Stewart in her prison bitch mode. Loved it!! Once I got over my initial  "WTF", I was like the nerdy comic geek waiting to see Stan Lee. I was absolutely rabid for these characters. The whole tongue in cheek feel of the book had me feeling like I had taken a B-12 shot by the time I finished Adrenaline Rush. I was smiling and bouncy. (Something I normally abhor)

Ace, our flying, telekinetic hero, has waist length blond hair that waves like amber waves of grain as he flies over troubled skies. He has lived in the shadow of his older brother Draco, and now wants to prove his worth to the woman he has been crushing on for quite awhile. Somehow Rebecca Royce managed to convey a superhero's  arrogance and uber self confidence with an adorable touch of uncertainty and longing for approval.

The heroine, Alice, hmmmmm and grrrrr! Filth, flarn, filth! Meanie, meanie eat a weenie. She came around in the end and did publicly grovel as was only appropriate. (Is that a spoiler? I mean an HEA is a given, right?) She did play an awesome straight man to Ace's killer dialogue. My favorite quote.....


 Alice looking in on a sleeping Lael - "Where is his mother?"
Ace deadpan - "She got blown up."

I cracked up, but I guess you had to be there. I mean really??? Who says that?
You would not believe the tasteless answers I have for that question, but we have already established that I'm tacky.

Lest you think this is just a lighthearted piece of fluff, Nay, say I. The dastardly villain caught me completely off guard and grandstanded to a wonderfully dark conclusion. There is also the *ahem* more adult passages. This is not for children, pre-teens, or grandmothers. Unless your grandmother is Xaviera Hollander. ( Google it, youngsters) All in all, I have bought Draco's book and can't wait for the next book. I think Lael is still too young, but there are lots of caped crusaders to be found. Yay!!





image (1)

Amazon/B&N/ARe/Kobo/iBook



image (3)


71725

As a teenager, I would hide in my room to read my favorite romance novels when I was supposed to be doing my homework. I hope, these days, that my parents think it was worth it.

I am the mother of three adorable boys and I am fortunate to be married to my best friend. We live in northern New Jersey and try not to freeze too badly during the winter months.

I am in love with science fiction, fantasy, and the paranormal and try to use all of these elements in my writing. I've been told I'm a little bloodthirsty so I hope that when you read my work you'll enjoy the action packed ride that always ends in romance. I love to write series because I love to see characters develop over time and it always makes me happy to see my favorite characters make guest appearances in other books.

In my world anything is possible, anything can happen, and you should suspect that it will.

I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!!


Image-1

Website/Blog/Facebook/Twitter/Goodreads



signature (1)

No comments: