Saturday, April 12, 2014

Review of Dare to Desire (Dare to Love #2) by Carly Phillips


Quarterback Alex Dare, had it all -- an all-star football career with the Tampa Breakers and his choice of willing women -- until a severe injury forces him into early retirement. When he is offered a ground-breaking position with a rival team, he’s intrigued, but there’s a catch. He’ll be working alongside the same woman he hasn’t been able to get out of his head for too long.
dancing hearts


Social worker Madison Evans grew up in foster homes and knows first hand what it means to have-not. She isn't impressed by Alex Dare’s wealth or charm. Not since she fell hard for him once before, only to discover she was just one of his too-easy conquests. This time around Madison refuses to succumb to Alex so easily.

But Alex wants Madison. And if there is one thing Alex does well, it’s to get what he wants. The playboy athlete must prove he’s got game in more places than on the field. He means to prove that he’s a changed man but no sooner does he begin to break through Madison’s defenses when a new opportunity comes knocking and threatens her new-found trust. Can he make Madison take a risk and dare to love?




image (13)[54]

 This was a really fun and satisfying read. Mainly, because IMHO, Alex (and no I don't think he deserved to have a career ending injury) gets a taste of his own medicine. In this really, really fast (under 200 pages), unbelievably sexy book that will bring a big smile to the most jaded of readers, I rediscovered my love for Carly Phillips. (well her books, but I really like her, too!)

I am a bad, bad fan. Carly Phillips was once a mainstay of my "automatic buy" list. I loved her books, and her characters still rank among some of my favorites. But life happened and I drifted away. (Hangs head in shame)



My sincerest apologies to Carly, but I am the one who ultimately lost out as is evidenced by the marvelous book that I just had the privilege to review. In a literary landscape filled with darkness, angst, and all sorts of illicit behavior that most people will never, EVER indulge in, it is so nice to know that there are authors like Carly Phillips that craft happy romances. No Madison and Alex didn't go around handing out flowers and hugs to abandoned puppies, they each had their own issues and pasts to deal with, BUT they were not so dramatic that the majority of the reading audience would gasp and clutch their children to their breast to affirm they still breathed.

They had issues that probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow to the average Jerry Springer fan. They were for the most part likable normal people that I could admire and smile with and fuss at. They enjoyed sex.... a LOT! But they didn't need chains or cattle prods, and they shared genuine emotions, not unhealthy obsession.

Carly Phillip's writing style grabs a reader from the first paragraph. When I read her books, I am a member of that family, or that team or that social group. I am THERE. I know these people by the end of the book, and I root for their HEA. I am invested and addicted. That's what I missed out on, don't make my mistake. I am certainly the poorer for my neglect. Job well done, Carly. Bravissima!

image (15)




image (10)[44]
CPBB
signature (1)[5]

2 comments:

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

I can't wait for a little free reading time to pick this one up. I really enjoyed book one. Glad to hear this one was excellent too :)

Unknown said...

This sounds really good Sebella, I've have only read one book from this author, and it was really cute! I have to try this one.
Thanks girl :)